Sunday, September 21, 2008

Deception Point Post #1

Having previously read a Dan Brown novel (The Da Vinci Code) I opened Deception Point with a lot of expectations. So far, the book has not disappointed. Personally I really enjoy mystery-thriller books, with the twisting, turning plot, but also the confusion and unexpected. Deception Point has been full of both. It leaves you in the dark for a lot of details, leaving the reader wondering and wanting to read on. Who is that guy in the van? What will happen in the upcoming election? How is the President planning on using Rachel? What is Delta Force’s purpose? And because I have already read the back cover, what is the deception? How did they pull off this trickery? That mysterious quality really helps the book flow and makes you feel like you need to read on just to figure out the situations. Another thing that I have found that Dan Brown does exceptionally is making each sequential paragraph not just a continuation from the previous, but it jumps from character group to character group. That technique is good for not only making it easier to fill in background information, but it allows the reader to not have to think, does the debate between Senator Sexton and Marjorie Tench happen before after or during Rachel’s adventures in the Arctic. It gives the book a timeline. I have enjoyed what I’ve read so far and I hope the book just gets better from here.

1 comment:

Zack said...

I agree with what you have said about the flow of the book. The alternating chapter between the separate character groups helps the reader determine what the timeline is. Personal I enjoy this because it creates anticipation after he, in a sense, pauses the main action and focuses on a separate group of characters. I like this because it makes me want to read until the questions that just came up are answered four chapters later. This anticipation of the following chapters pushes me to read on. The lingering questions that you said are “Leaving you in the dark”, have also tormented me; leaving me to do nothing but to throw myself into the book until my parents force me to do a monotonous chore such as eating or going to school.