Sunday, September 21, 2008

The book got off to a great start and caught my attention immediately. So much so that I haven’t been able to put it down since I started reading it. Based on the back of the book and the things that I’ve read so far, I keep telling myself that I’m going to get the book figured out. Every time I read another page, though, I change my mind on who the “bad guy” is going to be. It seems really obvious that they’re trying to make Rachel’s dad seem like he’s the bad guy based on all of the complicated issues from his past that are repeatedly brought up. How can an author keep you interested though if he gives it away right at the beginning? As I read on however I can’t seem to decide if Dan Brown is simply trying to confuse the readers by drawing their attention away from the real “threat” or making it so obvious that they over analyze things and think that it can’t be who it really is. It’s because of these twists and turns that I can’t guess what is going to happen and am, therefore, completely intrigued. The book seems to be taking some of the most overused ideas and throwing them all together to make a rarely done plot line. The presidential race with a weird connection between the two parties (the daughter), the “alien” aspect, the possibility of a love triangle developing between Rachel, Mike Tolland and Norah Mangor all woven into one story seems like a repeated story, but the way they’re meshed together makes you want to keep getting more information. I want all my questions answered. Somehow the somewhat cliché story ideas come together to make such an extremely interesting plot that I’m having a difficult time focusing on writing my entry because in my head I’m still trying to figure out what is going to happen next. The idea of using a laser to heat the meteor so that it was helping to get its self out of the ground was cool as well. Why would he choose to use the scientific discovery to assist in developing itself? It almost seems like Brown is trying to make it seem like the meteor wants itself, and the secrets it holds, to be discovered. It is an interesting idea to think about. What could the story gain from having the meteor being used to get itself out of the ground? How will that relate to the rest of the plot or does it?

2 comments:

Lindsay and Sarah said...

Senator Sexton does seem like a really horrible person. I don’t think he’s the main bad guy, though, because he doesn’t seem smart enough to have a master plot. I’m guessing that he’ll do something really redeeming at the end or that he’s just there to make the reader agree with Rachel that Herney should be elected without getting into controversial political beliefs. There are a lot of clichés in the story, especially the name Delta-One. Alone, these ideas do seem corny, but I agree with you that Brown makes an interesting and suspenseful plot out of them. I didn’t even connect that the meteorite was helping to discover itself, but now that you said that, it made me think about it too. It probably either has some deep meaning about the eternal search for knowledge or it’s just a cool way to get a meteorite out of the ice.

Lindsay and Sarah said...

This is Sarah just to let you know.