Sunday, October 5, 2008

Deception Point Blog Entry #3

I completely fell for the plot twist. When I found out that it was either Pickering or Tench that was going to die, the thought that Pickering might be the bad guy never even crossed my mind, partly because it doesn’t make sense that Pickering would do that for NASA. He has a personal grudge against NASA, so why would he want to help them? It seemed that making Pickering be the bad guy was put in there simply for the plot twist, not to make sense. The excuse that Sexton was worse than NASA was too weak for me. And, now that we know Tench is innocent, why would she give Gabrielle the information about NASA? The other thing that I didn’t like was the part with the submarine. How come the hatch just happened to be stuck then and not the many other times they had used it? It just seemed too convenient, or I guess inconvenient for Rachel. The random flashback to her past that enabled her to get out was just as cheesy and unrealistic as Michael’s. Also, to me it was annoying that Rachel didn’t know which way was up when she got out of the sub. The Triton was sinking, so it was kind of obvious that up was in the opposite direction. Still, this section contained my favorite sentence in the whole book when they talk about the chopper hitting the Goya: “The sounds conjured images of epic battle.” While I was reading the book I was caught up in the suspense and action, but as soon as I was done I noticed all these problems. Overall it was a good book, but it could’ve been better.
Lindsay

1 comment:

Whitney said...

I also got really caught up in the plot at the end of the book because each chapter seemed critical to making sense of what was going to happen. I felt the same way about Pickering/Tench dying, I was positive that Pickering was dead and Tench was in the helicopter, but I should have noticed Brown never specified he/she. Brown gave so many hints that Tench was the controller, especially with the helicopter picking someone up on the White House grounds and having Tench be involved in the PODS lie made it seem like she was the main lier. Tench was a much more believable villian; as you mentioned, Pickering had no real motives. I think Tench was feeding Gabrielle information about NASA so Sexton would continue making it a fallpoint of the president. The more that Sexton said to discredit NASA, the more support he would lose when the meteor was announced, because both NASA and the White House thought the meteor was real. Overall, I liked the book too.