Sunday, October 5, 2008

The book was definitely a fast read. I think I finished it way faster that I have finished most other books because once you got to a certain point you couldn’t put it down. I couldn’t believe that the controller was William Pickering. Even though that had been my guess in the beginning of the book, I never actually thought that I might be right. After talking to some people about the book we decided that the only reason that you would guess Pickering was because of Brown’s writing style, not because it made any logical sense. He simply made all of the other characters seem way too logical, and, or obvious for them to be behind everything. Also, it seemed like there wasn’t really a good enough reason for Pickering to actually kill all of those people. I felt like the only reason Brown would choose to have William Pickering be the answer to the, “Who did it?” question, was because it would be completely unexpected. Even once the motive was explained, it seemed like it didn’t really make any sense for someone to go to such great lengths to accomplish practically nothing, especially once you find out that he doesn’t like Herney, on top of not liking NASA. Why would someone kill such a large group of people simply because they hate two groups, but the one group they hate just a TINY bit less? No one would go to that much trouble to help a person that they hate, just to get back at someone that they hate even more. Aside from the seemingly illogical ending of the book, I really enjoyed reading Deception Point. I really liked how Sexton, just because he’s a constant jerk, finally took it too far and ended up completely “exposing” (yes there ARE multiple meanings here…haha) himself nationally. I don’t care WHO you are, you have to love it when someone finally gets what they have coming. I found it slightly amusing how, when the meteorite, which was such a big deal to the humans, was dropped back into the ocean and the fish seemed smarter that the people because its basic response to the rock was, “oh well, whatever.” How ironic…we’re all dumber than a stupid fish!

2 comments:

Lindsay and Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsay and Sarah said...

I completely agree with your argument about Pickering's actions. It didn't make any sense that he would be behind the fake meteorite. Maybe when Brown looked back at his book, he realized that nearly everything happened as he foreshadowed and decided to add something completely unexpected and unrealistic. Even when I read the book again, he didn't leave any clues that Pickering was behind it. All of the red herrings he left about Tench still don’t make any sense either. Brown tied up the book very well regarding Sexton and Gabrielle, but the main plot twist kind of ruined the book for me. And I am NOT stupider than a fish!!!!
Sarah