Sunday, October 5, 2008

Blog 3

First of all I like that everyone decided to change their post colors after they saw mine. I should probably talk about the book though. The last section of the book intrigued me the most. On of the biggest questions I have with the story line is Rachel’s conversation with Pickering before she knew that the meteor was a fake. William Pickering plants in her mind the idea of the meteor being a fake. Why would he do this if he were trying to hide the secret from her? This doesn’t make any sense because he tries to kill her in the end of the book because of the information he talked her into looking for. If anyone can make sense out of that I would love to hear it. The rest of the book was phenomenal. I was not too fond about the eruption of the mega plume though. It was easy to see that this was going to happen long before it did and I believe that Dan Brown could have made it much better. The very last sentence of the book left with more questions. What does he mean when he writes, “Unimpressed, the creature moved on”? Does he want us to think that the creature at the bottom was just used to seeing things like this and that it was not worth the controversy that came from it? Or does he want us to think that there actually was extraterrestrial life swimming at the bottom of the ocean and that it was aware of what was happening? I have been struggling with these questions ever since finishing the book and have realized that I am better off trying to just not think about it anymore.

1 comment:

Ashton said...

That is a REALLY good question, and basically, the only one I didn’t think of at the end of the book. Now I have one more illogical occurrence that has no good explanation to add to my list. I feel like in that instance any normal "villain" would say, "Hmmmm... maybe I should try and do something to throw her off track and make sure she doesn't go any farther with this." But then again, I guess we've already established that he’s nowhere near a "normal" villain, due to the fact that he never actually had a logical motive in the first place, since he didn’t get anything out of it. Also, if he knew where they were stopping, why wouldn't he have just told the Delta Force team where to go, instead of having them try to guess the location with the tracking device through the cell phone? I feel like that would have saved a lot of time. Especially since they were trying to make sure that Rachel's group didn’t get off the ship before they got there.